Crimson Kings
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maximizing Odins: The Three Entrant Rotation

2 posters

Go down

Would you be willing to sit out Odin runs if it meant you could spend an "extra point" when bidding?

Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation I_vote_lcap0%Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation I_vote_lcap0%Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 0

Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation Empty Maximizing Odins: The Three Entrant Rotation

Post  Sabaron Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:21 pm

Three entrant rotation requires a minimum of 3 lamp-buyers and allows the running of Odin once every 4 runs. This is a description of the process:

To start the rotation:

3 lamp buying mules (or players willing to skip 2/3 Odin Runs) are created.

In order to set up the rotation properly, all three mules must be "primed" by filling them all with 9 feathers. The fastest way to do this is to have each mule attend each of the 9 runs.

After each mule has 9 feathers:

1. Mule 1 opens Valgrind and Mule's 2 and 3 sit out.

2. Run Rossweisse's, Helmwige's, and Ortlinde's Chambers using Mule 2 to open.

3. Mule 2 opens Valgrind and Mule's 1 and 3 sit out.

4. Run Grimgerde's, Schwertleite's and Gerhilde's Chambers using Mule 3 to open. All mules must attend.

5. Mule 3 opens Valgrind and Mule's 1 and 2 sit out.

6. Run Siegrune's, Waltraute's, and Brunhilde's Chambers using Mule 1 to open. All mules must attend.

7. Mule 1's Odin feather set will now be complete. Go back to step 1.

The beauty of the system is that it can be extended, but two people with perfect attendance have to sit out each time Odin is done in order to maintain the chain. And each person who sits out must sit out two Odin's in a row (staggered).

For instance, let's look at a sit out table for six people; each line of the table represents an Odin Run, and x's indicate people sitting out after the initial 9-feather priming; the "o" indicates the player (who will have 9 feathers) that opens the Odin run. Column "R" is the run index and the player opening is indicated at the end and the three letter code at the end of each line indicates which Wing I, II, and III chambers are opened by the person with 6 feathers whose number is also indicated. A detailed run of the procedure follows the table.

R 1 2 3 4 5 6
1 x x o _ _ _ RHO Opener: 2
2 x o _ _ _ x GSG Opener: 1
3 o _ _ _ x x SWB Opener: 6
4 _ _ _ x x o RHO Opener: 5
5 _ _ x x o _ GSG Opener: 4
6 _ x x o _ _ SWB Opener: 3

3 opens Odin, 1&2 sit, only 1 & 2 now have 9.
2 opens RHO, all have RHO, 1 & 2 have 9.
2 opens Odin, 6&1 sit, 6 has RHO, 1 has 9.
1 opens GSG, all have GSG, 6 has RHO, GSG; 1 has 9.
1 opens Odin, 6&5 sit, 6 has RHO, GSG, 5 has GSG.
6 opens SWB, all have SWB, 5 has GSG, SWB; 6 has 9.
6 opens Odin, 4&5 sit, 5 has GSG, SWB; 4 has SWB.
5 opens RHO, all have RHO, 4 has SWB, RHO; 5 has 9.
5 opens Odin, 3&4 sit, 4 has SWB, RHO; 3 has RHO.
4 opens GSG, all have GSG, 3 has RHO, GSG; 4 has 9.
4 opens Odin, 2&3 sit, 3 has RHO, GSG; 2 has GSG.
3 opens SWB, all have SWB, 2 has GSG, SWB, 3 has 9.
Repeat.

For a 6-man rotation, each of the openers misses out on only 1/3 of the runs. Extending the rotation further continues to decrease the number of runs missed by each player.

The easiest way to create incentive to do this is to:
(a) Give players sitting for an Odin entry attendance for the run.
(b) Allow any player in the rotation to bid "an extra point" (for instance, allow them to bid up to 16 points on Wing I, II, & III gear and bid up to 21 points on Odin gear through the next (in the 6-man rotation case) 4 Odin runs that they will get to attend. After 4 runs, they lose this privilege until they perform the sit-out rotation again. This way, people who sacrifice opportunities in attending Odin have the ability to "block" others from lotting on pieces they want by using their bonus point. The only people they can't block are other people who sit out Odins. If a person using the bonus point rule were to acquire a piece, they would immediately lose the ability to bid the extra point until their next sit out.

The biggest drawback is the rather grueling attendance requirement to be a lamp-buyer. In order to qualify for sitting out Odin, a player must have Perfect Attendance for the 6 runs which they must collect feathers for. This is why communal mules are generally employed since regular people occasionally miss runs. There are currently 8 people in the shell who have perfect attendance out of 49 people who have at least 1 point: 16% of the shell's active population.

An alternative way to do this is as follows:

0. Prime the shell. At least 2 people need 9 feathers. Designate one as 1st chair and another as 2nd chair.

1. 1st chair opens Odin, one player who has attended the last 3 runs is made 2nd Chair and must sit out. The existing 2nd chair selected at the last Odin Run is promoted to 1st chair and must sit out. Participants who have sat out recently cannot be selected again for a pre-designated maximum time limit measured in # of Odin's dependent upon the number of people reliable enough to be sit-out people.

2. 1st and 2nd Chair have to have perfect attendance for the next 3 runs. If any losses occur, they must also attend any make-up run.

3. 1st chair opens their triad of runs. Go back to step 1.

Last edited by Sabaron on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Sabaron
Sabaron
Admin

http://www.arcologic.com

Back to top Go down

Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation Empty Mule

Post  Admin Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:06 pm

I can use sheighlant as a Mule for odin if needed. The only issue I see with mules is they take place of normal players. I can not dual shei and pull (meaning she can enter but does not fight). I think using 1-2 mules is fine but 3 might start to hurt the shell speed in the zone. I think using one mule for now is really good idea and if all approve more then I am fine with that as well.

grigoris

Admin
Admin

https://crimsonkings.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation Empty Re: Maximizing Odins: The Three Entrant Rotation

Post  Sabaron Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:44 pm

Well, in order to operate Sheighlant as a mule, she would need to attend every run which has not, historically, been the case since we've been overbooking runs. Therefore, Sheighlant would not be a suitable mule.

The only way this system can work is to have at least 3 people who buy lamps and sit out on any Odin that they are not opening. The presented methods show how to minimize the number of runs a given person must sit out by increasing the number of participants:

Given N participants in the sit out rotation, each participant must sit out with 2/N Frequency where N must be a multiple of 3.

So, at 3 people: 2/3, at 6: 2/6 (1/3), at 9: 2/9, at 12: 2/12 (1/6) etc.

Many shells do employ the "3 mule" technique as it is possible for 3 dual-boxers to play semi-competently with 2 characters though with obviously decreased function. I, however, do not know that we have any such people who are able to do that. This is what the rest of the post is about--developing a system whereby an active participant can be encouraged to sit out on some Odin runs so that we can maximize the profitability of the Einherjar shell as a whole.

The sit-out system presented is the maximally efficient one (there can be no other system which produces a higher Odin rate), but it has a high price tag.

With single lamp buyer, we get Odin 1/10 runs (or once every 5 weeks max).

With two lamp buyers, we get Odin 2/14 runs but the mule has to attend every run (once every 2.5 weeks max). (This is the case when Grig attends runs opened by Sheighlant which, presumably, he will. It's 2/11 if Grig sits out when Sheighlant opens.

With three lamp buyers we achieve maximal efficiency of 1/4 runs (once every 2 weeks max).

Grig is obviously lamp buyer #1. If Sheighlant is to be lamp buyer #2, then...

Sheighlant must be slotted for every run and under no circumstances should miss any run for any reason.

The first run requires priming of 9.
Grig opens Valgrind (Sheighlant sits out).
--Grig has no feathers, Sheighlant has 9.
Run the appropriate wing I/II/III triad.
--Grig now has 1 triad, Sheighlant has 9.
>> Sheighlant opens Valgrind (Grig sits out).
--Grig has 1 triad, Sheighlant has 0.
Run the missing sextet for Grig (2 Wing Is, 2 Wing 2s, 2 Wing 3s)
--Grig has 9, Sheighlant has 2 triads.
Grig opens Valgrind, Sheighlant sits out.
--Grig has 0, Sheighlant has 2 triads.
Run the missing triad for Sheighlant.
--Grig has 1 triad, Sheighlant has 9.
Go back to the ">>".

This rotation (which is maximal for 2 lamp buyers) requires 3 Wings + 1 Valgrind + 6 Wings + 1 Valgrind or 2/11 runs.
If Grig doesn't sit out, then it goes to 9 wings + 1 Valgrind + 3 wings + 1 Valgrind or 2/14 runs.

otherwise we end up with situation of a sing
Sabaron
Sabaron
Admin

http://www.arcologic.com

Back to top Go down

Maximizing Odins:  The Three Entrant Rotation Empty Re: Maximizing Odins: The Three Entrant Rotation

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum